05 August 2011

Simply Beautiful Cakes


I have a new hobby.  I bake cakes.  Actually, no, it’s more than that.   I bake cakes, make them look pretty, photograph them, and spend the next week eating them.  It would be a regular hobby if I didn’t spend the following week cursing myself as I stare furiously at the scale’s proclamation of a few unwelcomed pounds.  *sigh* Such is life.


Anyway, I bake cakes.  Nothing fancy, but I add just a simple additional touch.  I do have a friend who creates masterpieces with cakes and should really start baking more and blogging about them so that she can market herself and eventually open up her own business…ahem, Tammy.   


Regardless, despite the simplicity of it, it did not come naturally for me.  I’ve had quite a few cake (and pies and cookies and…) disasters.  There was the You Might As Well Be Sucking on a Lime, Key Lime Pie, the Shredded Carrot Mash Adhered by a Cake Texture, Carrot Cake, and of course my infamous Three Tries Is Not a Charm, Resorted to a Box Mix, Forgot an Essential(very expensive) Ingredient and The Homemade Icing Hurt your Teeth, Chocolate Cake.  My poor husband was the recipient of all of these disasters (two birthdays and a Valentine’s Day).  It’s the thought that counts, right?!


You can imagine my excitement when YouTube became popular and professionals would actually have a tutorial on how to make cakes look pretty AND taste good.  The whole crumb layer thing was pure genius.  Even better, was April 2011 issue of Real Simple had an article on how to make and decorate cakes like pros…simply.   I loved this magazine before, but I so love it even more now!


I would practice here and there for special occasions and was amazed at how easy it was and how much better I got at decorating.  I even found a solution to the cake itself.  As another equally inspiring friend told me, “why mess with something that’s been perfected”.  So yes, I use good Ol’ Betty Crocker to assist me in the kitchen…for most recipes anyway.  There is just no substitute to homemade carrot cake (as long as you follow the directions of course).  More on that another time though.


My icing is usually homemade and has been (almost) perfected.  One ingredient that I love right now is Mascarpone.  It’s a less tangy, creamier and more decedent cream cheese.   It’s fabulous and simple. It's so fabulous that I had to write a post about my new found hobby just so I could share with you.  Loe and behold, below are a few recipes that I’ve adapted to make a simply fabulous icing.  Remember, simple really does go a long way.  Enjoy.




Mascarpone Cream Frosting
Adapted from JustJENN
8 oz Mascarpone
½ cup Confectioner’s Sugar (I like a little less than recommended)
Pinch of Salt
1 TBSP Vanilla Extract (I like a little more than recommended)
1 ½ Cup Whipping Cream
“In a medium bowl combine mascarpone cheese, sugar, salt and vanilla. Stir together until smooth, and set aside.
In the bowl of an electric mixer beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form – don’t overdo it, the last thing you want is for it to curdle. Then fold the whipped cream, into the mascarpone mixture until combined. If you get it just right, you will get a nice sweet fluffy frosting.”

Independence Day Cake: Lemon Cake with Mascarpone Cream Frosting, Topped with Fresh Strawberries and Blueberries








Chocolate Mascarpone Icing
Adapted from Real Simple’s Chocolate Sour Cream Icing
12 oz Semi Sweet Chocolate
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature.
2 Cups Confectioner’s Sugar
1 cup Mascapone
Pinch of Salt
Preparations As Directed by Dawn Perry:
  1. “Heat the chocolate in a double boiler or medium heatproof bowl set over (not in) a saucepan of simmering water, stirring often, until melted and smooth. Remove from heat and let cool, 10 to 15 minutes.”
  2. “Using an electric mixer, beat the butter on high until light and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes. Reduce mixer speed to low. Gradually add the sugar and beat until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Add the chocolate, sour cream, and salt and beat to combine.”

Yellow Cake with Strawberry filling topped with Chocolate Mascapone Icing and Fresh Straweberries





No comments:

Post a Comment