18 August 2011

Going Green...ish

When you think of Texas, images that typically come to mind are of cowboys, gigantic gas guzzling vehicles, hormone induced giant plates of BBQ, and George Bush.  Hippies, endless bike paths and pedestrian trails, naturally grown local food, and Al Gore enthusiast are usually at the lower end of the spectrum.  While the state has one of the most recognizable slogans for keeping Mother Earth clean (Don’t Mess With Texas) it doesn’t get credit for being pro Green.

This time next year, we will be moving to Texas in hopes of being settled for more than a 3 year commitment.  My husband, a Texas boy who goes by the motto “I wasn’t born in Texas but I got there as quick as I could”, was offered an amazing opportunity near his home town.  We’ll be saying Auf Wiedersehen to Germany and the military and Howdy Ya’ll to Fort Worth Texas.  I’m looking forward to this new adventure not only because I adore Fort Worth (the art scene is amazing) and I’m blessed to have amazing In-laws that will be in the area, but also because we get to buy our first home.

Actually, we aren’t just buying, we’re building.

With building comes designing which is something I’m crazy passionate about.  My roommate in college once asked if the only reason I would want to own a home was to be able to decorate it (this was after the umpteenth time I rearranged our apartment).  She was absolutely right though.  No more restrictions of painting, adding appliances that makes life a bit more convenient,  and second guessing adding shelving that may or may not leave more than a nail hole size in the wall.   I get to play interior designer.

A trend that I’m very interested in now is Green Design.  Like many people, I’m always trying to be a good patron of the Earth… in moderation.  I am diligent about recycling, I buy local and fresh when possible, I used canvas market bags, I prefer the natural light to artificial, I use “green” cleaning products, wash all of my clothes in cold water, among other things.  Of course, I haven’t completely converted my lifestyle.  I didn't get on the cloth diaper band wagon for our first child and I just traded in my moderate size crossover for a larger SUV which was not very green…I do intend to do a lot of carpooling though.  Every little bit helps and I’m always looking for more ways to improve.  

When building a house, you get to start from scratch.   I can implement my passion for interior design and green living into one project.  Everything we do can not only help the environment but also save us money in the long run.   One of our inspirations is The 2011 HGTVGreen Home.  It could have very well been built with my husband and me in mind.  The clean cut German-esq modern lines, the rich colors of yellows and slate, the gourmet kitchen.  It was enough to make me want to pack my bags and move to Stapleton, CO right then and there.  

Of course, we are finding that we don’t need a full design team to make a Greener life.  We also found small steps can make a big improvement.  There are endless tips and ideas to make your space a little greener while also saving you money.  Here are a few links we’ll be using to assist us in the process.


On Saturday we’ll be heading to Texas to visit family and to also start looking at properties.  Over the course of the next year, I’ll share with you the process of building our home, Green improvements we decide on, and fun design ideas we come up with.   I would love any insight and tips you have for a Greener Life and I hope to share some new ideas along the way.



2 comments:

  1. I love this! Not only because I'm envious of your new green lifestyle and the freedom to design and build your OWN green dream home. But also because ya'll are coming back to the states and will be closer to TN! Can't wait to watch this new adventure for you guys unfold. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We want to do a green home too.... once we're in the market and lifestyle to build one, of course. Have you checked out Lisa Ling's home? I saw it on some HGTV special (can't remember the title sadly); though the Stapleton, CO was more to my taste as well, they did some really neat things to create a green living environment. Check it out!

    ReplyDelete