27 July 2011

Photography, My Forgotten Passion Part 3: A Reality

I am a photographer…A hobbyist anyway.

It took a move overseas, a new job as a SAHM, and a swarm of friends who were just as passionate about photography, for me to pick up a camera again.  Unfortunately, a funny thing happens when you downgrade from an SLR to a point and shoot, you get stuck on Auto.  Like a second language you no longer converse in, I forgot all the technical skills of my manual mode.  I could not tell you the difference between Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO to save my life when only a few years ago, I would dream about them in my sleep. 

I was constantly flustered that the camera was not working the way I wanted it to.  The flash was too bright, the image was too grainy or the subject too dark.  I did get some amazing pictures of my son despite this lack of knowledge.  My apartment has wonderful natural light that the camera was able to register pretty accurately.  It also helped that he was amazing in front of the camera.  He would actually pose for awhile making those spontaneous candid shots null and void, but at least I captured his precious smile.

I tried to read my manual and find articles online, but I’m a kinetic learner and a language that I was fluent in before was completely foreign to me now.  Through the USO, I was able to take a class to at least get me off Auto and onto Aperture priority.  I was actually excited about photography again.

And then I met Jessica.  Jessica is a wonderful lifestyle photographer in our little community that loves all things natural.  Despite me going to an art school, working in an art gallery, and having artistic friends, her work showed me how a documentation of a family could become art on a canvas with a click of a button.  Her work was beautiful, she was beautiful, and she made you feel beautiful.  I had the pleasure of working with her for a few photo shoots.  It had been years since I was a part of something like that and I forgot how much I missed it.   She helped charge my artistic desire yet again and the hunger to learn more. 

After working with Jessica, I took a workshop with her and finally felt the confidence and know how to upgrade my camera to a Canon EOS Rebel TI (complete side note, that Nikon D40 was “misplaced” before a garage sale.  A little ironic, eh).  I also took an online course suggested by one of my friends.  Oh Shoot Photography is highly recommended for anyone looking to get off the auto function and learn the beginning skills needed to take great photos.  What I loved about this class is it caters to all learning abilities.  She supplies a PDF document, an audio file, a video, and almost instantaneous feedback on all questions you may have. 

The class was great but I did a few things that I somewhat regret.  The first being, I took it at a time where I couldn’t be 100% devoted to it.  My husband just returned from deployment and my priority was adjusting to my family of three.  The second thing I regret, is that overconfidence in me (you know, from the teenage years) crept in and I felt I already knew everything the class taught (at least until lesson 3 of 7).  While I knew my fair share, my attitude was wrong.  My friends’ work improved greatly, mine improved slightly.  I really need to work on that overconfidence thing.  Thankfully, I have access to all learning materials from the class so I can (and will review) constantly.  I’m planning on taking the portrait class by the same instructor in the near future, hopefully with a different attitude and more time on my hands.

So today, I find myself excited about building my skill and expanding my portfolio.  I have even had a few friends (and a friend of a friend) ask me to take photos of their family (of course they are doing me a favor so I won’t be charging).  I don’t intend to make a career out of it (I have a lot to learn as it is) but I love that for now it’s something I’m passionate about and something adds a bit of artistic color to my life. 




3 comments:

  1. The camera makes a huge difference! Even though my Canon point-and-shoot has a manual mode, that I often use, the lens on our Canon SLR really makes a difference in portrait and close-up shots. I miss the ancient Pentax film camera I used in school! p.s. This is Sarah Mikkelsen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sarah,

    Thanks for reading my blog!

    I agree that a camera does make a difference...if you know how to use it. Many people by DSLR's in hopes of getting better pictures. If you can't use the functions at least somewhat, you are just investing in a very large and expensive point and shoot. The old adage is something like "your camera doesn't make you a good photographer". Also, most photographers hate the term, "your camera takes great pictures".

    I do miss film cameras and the darkroom as well. Oh the joys when we had so much time on our hand we could spend hours in there with no worries. Sigh... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth,

    It's a good thing that you are one of the rare women who are super-confident! Most of us have a problem with lack of confidence. I'm so glad you got back into this.

    ReplyDelete